New year, new you? We’d all like to think so, right? So maybe you can’t completely swear off of junk food.. And so what if you can’t exercise every day for a year?
Picture this: instead of trying to make yourself skinnier, how about trying to make your bank account fatter? Seriously – There are so many ways you’re throwing your money away every month, I’ll bet you’ve made one of these mistakes recently.
- Spent $5 on a cup of coffee you could’ve made at home. Coffee shops are a multibillion dollar industry. I made that up, but it sounds like it could be true. Really, stop spending so much money on Starbucks! It’s so overpriced. If you have to, buy a gift card or download their app and give yourself a set budget each month. Better yet, invest in a Keurig, or a coffee pot with some fancy creamers. They pay for themselves.
- Paid a late fee. It’s not that you didn’t have the money, it’s that you completely stinkin’ forgot it was due and by the time you realized it, they’d already charged you that ridiculous fee of 35 bucks. Bummer. Take the time to enroll in automatic payments. Even if it’s just for the minimum amount due. You can always go back and pay more, but that $35… It’s history.
- Got pulled over. I know, I know. You were in a hurry so you were speeding or you ran a red light. You got pulled over and the cop wrote you a ticket. Speeding tickets are a multi trillion dollar industry. Ha ha, kidding. But seriously. It’s a huge waste of time and money. Just obey the law so you can keep your money and not have to deal with this guy…
- Paid for a sandwich or a salad at a restaurant. At least get something you can’t make at home, so it doesn’t seem like such a huge waste of money! In fact, avoid eating out if you don’t have to. You can make a week’s worth of sandwiches for what it cost you at a restaurant. Save lunches and dinners out for special occasions, like when you realize you haven’t paid a late fee in 6 months.
- Speaking of late fees, ATM fees. These are the worst. You’re literally paying for your own money. It’s the dumbest thing ever, and EVERYONE does it. Plan ahead. If you know you’re going to need cash soon, get cash back at Walmart or Kroger. Or just take the time to go to a branch. If you’re a member of FTWCCU use one of the 28,000 FREE ATMs in the US. Duh. Stop paying for convenience… It’s inconvenient.
- Paid for an unused gym membership. This speaks for itself. Are you paying for a monthly membership? Can you tell me when you last went? And what you did there, besides taking a selfie in the mirror? If not, it’s time to cancel it. You can pretend to workout at home.
That’s all I’ve got for now, but I feel like this list can go on for days. Stay tuned.
This blog was written by FTWCCU Marketing/Digital Commerce Assistant, Sammie Arriola.