4 Dishes to Contribute to Thanksgiving Dinner
Thanksgiving snuck up on us and – oh! You totally forgot you were supposed to start “contributing” this year. You told mom or grandma that this year was the year you were going to bring a dish. The only problem is, well, you don’t know where to start.
Here are a few Thanksgiving worthy recipes that are easy on both you and your budget.
Fancy Mac & Cheese – a real crowd cheeser.
- Pasta (elbow or cavatappi works best for mac & cheese)
- Cheese (cheddar, parmesan, pepperjack… Basically, go nuts!)
- For extra WOW factor, ham, sausage, bacon, jalapenos, garlic, onion, etc.
- Boil the pasta (duh) until cooked and then drain it and set it aside.
- Cook any wow factor ingredients. I like to cook diced bacon – save the grease – and cook chopped jalapenos in bacon grease. O M G.
- Bring your milk to a nice boil, and gradually add cheese. Keep stirring, so It doesn’t harden. To thicken cheese sauce, you can add flour.
- In a Thanksgiving-worthy dish, combine your pasta and cheese sauce. Add in any wow factor ingredients.
- I like to top it with some shredded cheese and pop it in the oven to give it a melty crust.
Twice baked potato casserole – a no-brainer!
- Red potatoes (diced and baked)
- Salt, pepper, garlic salt
- Bacon (diced and cooked)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Spread your baked diced potatoes in an oven safe pan. Make sure they are close enough to touch.
- Season with salt, pepper, garlic, etc.
- Lightly (or heavily) sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of potatoes. Add chopped cooked bacon as well.
- Bake in oven just long enough to let the cheddar melt.
- Take out the potato bake, add dollops of sour cream at random.
- Top with chives!
Green bean casserole – if no one else has called this dish, take it!
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz.) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups cooked cut green beans or 2 cans (14.5oz each) any style Del Monte® Green Beans, drained
- 1 1/3 cups FRENCH’S® Crispy Fried Onions
- MIX soup, milk and pepper in a 1 1/2 -qt. baking dish. Stir in beans and 2/3 cup Crispy Fried Onions.
- BAKE at 350°F for 30 min. or until hot. Stir.
- TOP with remaining 2/3 cup onions. Bake 5 min. until onions are golden
Bacon wrapped jalapeños – a non-traditional appetizer that’s sure to turn heads!
- Cream cheese – softened
- Salt, pepper, garlic salt
- Slice jalapenos longways – taking out the seeds.
- Fill the halves with cream cheese. I like to season the cream cheese a little with salt, pepper or garlic.
- Slice bacon strips in half. I like to throw them in the microwave for a bit so they’re already a little cooked when we bake them.
- Wrap jalapenos with bacon. If you need to, stab them with toothpicks to hold the bacon in place.
- Bake at 350 for anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes. (You can also grill them for a charred flavor)
If all else fails, stop at Kroger for a pie. People love pie.